Hello Lancaster! A new beginning.

Well, it's day 2 of my new job at Lancaster University as Royal Literary Fund Fellow.  I've got an email address, a car parking permit, a computer, a coffee mug and a beautiful new office.  All I need now are students . . . whoops!  I mean Clients. Because we are in a new age of higher education and there's been a power-shift.  Fee-paying students have now become consumers.


This is my new office - the view isn't much but it faces southwest, so I get a lot of light.  There's even a comfy armchair in the corner for reading.


It's 3 years since I left Lancaster to go to Italy - 2 weeks since I was offered my post back - an email out of the blue while I was in New Zealand.  I did wonder if I was doing the right thing in accepting, but I'm surprised to find that I feel very much at home.  I'm not looking forward to the dark morning and late evening drives to and fro across the icy moors during the winter but there's peace and quiet here, space to work and a wonderful library just a few minutes walk through the campus.

All I need now are some students . . . I mean Clients!

Comments

  1. Enjoy your RLF Fellowship Kathleen x your office looks cozy and there's a rug! Brings back memories of that first week when the students start to trickle before it gets hectic with their essay deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pascale. It's the first time I've had a rug, or cosy chairs! It's going to be busy, though. Within an hour of going up on the Uni website I had a full diary for next week.x

      Delete
  2. How long is your contract and will you be back in Italy during the holidays? Meanwhile, have a really good relaxing time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes June, I get uni holidays so will be back for xmas and then for the whole summer. Thanks for the good wishes.x

      Delete
  3. Love that blue chair in your office, Kathleen! In my RLF office at Plymouth, I have a round table too with some 'client' chairs... no rug, but it makes up for that with a view of a totem pole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having to resist falling asleep after lunch in that blue chair Katherine! Hope it's going well in Plymouth.

      Delete
  4. I was born in Lancaster (44 Vale Road...) and have such good feelings about that special place, They are lucky to have you. I think you will enjoy them. wx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realise you were a Lancashire lass Wendy! I drive in through Galgate every morning and the mill dominates the village - makes me think quite a lot about the city's past. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts